The Lowdown on Pinterest Rich Pins
Episode #099 the Wingnut Social Podcast
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [2:20] What are Pinterest Rich Pins?
- [4:05] Is it hard to make a Rich Pin?
- [4:45] 4 different types of Rich Pins
- [6:45] The benefits of Rich Pins
- [8:05] Adding metadata to your account
- [9:35] Rich Pin Validator
Resources & People Mentioned
- LuAnn Nigara’s Window Works
- Yoast SEO WordPress Plugin
- Pinterest Instructions
- Pinterest Rich Pins Validator
- Website Instructions with Yoast plugin
- Website Instructions done manually
What are Rich Pins? Will they make me rich?
The jury is still out on that one, but anything is possible! Rich pins are pins that pull metadata from your website and the information is displayed directly on a pin. It also gives pinners a better picture of what they’ll see on your website. It is shown to improve engagement, and possibly even lower your bounce rate.
There are four different types of Rich Pins: App pins, Product pins, Recipe pins, and Article pins (designers are more likely to use article pins). The pin links to your article, drops your website name on the bottom of the pin, shows the author, and is even capable of more. Better yet—adding Rich Pins to your Pinterest account is completely free.
It seems like a win-win. Keep listening as Darla and Natalie share more benefits!
How do I set up Rich Pins?
The very short version is this:
- Pinterest needs to be able to access meta-data on your account. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can install the Yoast SEO plugin on your site, update a couple of settings, and voilà! If Yoast is not an option, you need to add specific coding to the header of each page on your site. Detailed instructions are linked in the resources. OR pass the task to your web developer and watch them work their magic!
- Once you’ve got your metadata sorted out on your website, you head on over to the Pinterest validator and enter a single URL from your website.
- Click ‘apply now’! Once Pinterest has validated your account (it may take 2-3 weeks) you’ll see that Rich Pins are enabled when you create one.
The long and short of it is this: you NEED Rich Pins. The simple fact that it increases engagement as much as 40% should convince you. But, if you need more convincing, listen to the whole mini-episode now!
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website
- 1-877-WINGNUT (connect with us for your social media marketing needs)
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK
Become a Premium Wingnut
Deep dive bonus episodes, webinars, and more.