How to Master your Money Mindset [And STOP Struggling] with Nancy Levin
Episode #160 the Wingnut Social Podcast
Nancy Levin is a master coach and best-selling author of multiple books, including Darla’s recent read: Worthy: Boost Your Self-Worth to Grow Your Net Worth and her newest book: Setting Boundaries Will Set You Free. Nancy was the Event Director at Hay House Inc. for 10+ years and now runs Levin Live Coach Academy. This episode is packed full of insight and powerful thoughts on mastering your money mindset.
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [1:26] Natalie’s relationship with the Peloton bike
- [4:36] Nancy Levin’s background and expertise in mindset
- [8:08] Why do we always put others ahead of ourselves?
- [9:39] Signs that you have a money mindset problem
- [13:12] Fine-tune processes, get clarity, and stand in your self-worth
- [15:28] How do you begin to start setting up boundaries?
- [22:36] Setting boundaries will bring you freedom
- [24:26] Exercises and/or resources that Nancy offers
- [25:37] Advice: how a designer should value their services
- [28:23] Do issues of worth impact men in the same way?
- [30:11] What up Wingnut! Round
- [32:07] It’s time to create some boundaries
- [41:19] Blooper Reel!
Connect with Nancy Levin
- BOOK: Worthy: Boost Your Self-Worth to Grow Your Net Worth
- BOOK: Setting Boundaries Will Set You Free
- Follow on Twitter
- Connect on LinkedIn
- Follow on Facebook
- Nancy’s Website
- Levin Life Coach Academy
Resources & People Mentioned
Signs that YOU have a money mindset problem
Nancy points out that the first key to recognizing you have a money mindset problem, is to recognize when resentment is rising within you. Often, it starts creeping in when you say ‘yes’ when you should’ve said ‘no’. One easy way to learn to say no is by building some space in between the request coming in and your knee-jerk ‘yes’. You must also recognize what mindset is motivating that immediate ‘yes’ response:
“I don’t want someone to be angry.”
“I don’t want them to be mad or disappointed.”
“I feel obligated.”
“I want to show up as the hero.”
“I want to be loved or liked.”
If any of those motivations resonate with you, you’re not alone. You have to build in the space to assess what’s true for you. If you can’t say no right off the bat, say “I will get back to you tomorrow”. A yes should only be about desire. It shouldn’t be about all of the other factors. Nancy shares that it’s an illusion that we have control over anyone’s emotions anyways. We are not responsible for someone’s response to our truth. Recognize that someone else’s urgency doesn’t have to be yours.
Overcome the struggle: adapt your money mindset by setting boundaries
Most women are never really taught that it’s okay to set boundaries. Because of this, Nancy believes that “We end up tolerating the intolerable and accepting the unacceptable.” Boundaries are the limits we set personally about we will or will not do—but we aren’t taught that it’s okay to stand by it. “Be seen and not heard” and staying small and invisible is what is ingrained into us. So how should you start setting boundaries?
Nancy notes that it starts with clarity. You must understand that you’re not here to serve everyone. When you’re clear on your ideal client and on the value of your own time and skills, that’s when someone else can value them and your money mindset begins to shift. Stand in your self-worth. KNOW what you offer. If you waiver, it leaves the door open for someone to devalue you.
Practically speaking, Nancy implores to be clear on dates, deadlines, and deliverables. Let your client know when and how you’ll communicate. Clearly outline and define what you do and how you do it. The biggest myth that Nancy busts around boundaries is that other people cross our boundaries. If boundaries are being crossed, you’re the one crossing it. It’s not up to anyone else to uphold your boundaries—it’s up to you.
So how do you ensure you don’t return to your old habits? What are some practical step-by-step exercises or resources you can use to grow and evolve? How do you continue to stand your ground and change your money mindset? Nancy answers these questions and so much more in this episode. If you’re ready to begin transforming your money mindset, be sure to listen.
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website
- Check out the Wingnut Social Media Lab Facebook Group!
- 1-877-WINGNUT (connect with us for your social media marketing needs)
Wingnut Social Podcast Sponsor
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK
Become a Premium Wingnut
Deep dive bonus episodes, webinars, and more.