Desi Creswell Shares How to Cultivate a Healthy Mindset
Episode #172 the Wingnut Social Podcast
Desi Creswell is a certified life and business coach who helps interior designers stop feeling overwhelmed. Her goal is to help them achieve next-level success with more freedom and fulfillment. She is also an award-winning interior designer. Her passion is to help designers build thriving businesses that enrich their lives as a whole.
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [3:32] International Window Coverings Expo 2020
- [4:47] All about Desi Creswell
- [7:26] Desi’s shift from designer to coaching
- [10:00] It’s time to develop a work-life vision
- [11:54] Give yourself grace—because it’s a process
- [13:02] Do you actually have the resources to delegate?
- [15:31] How to embrace a healthy mindset
- [17:48] Desi’s system: The 4 C’s (Dan Sullivan)
- [20:05] Carry a healthy mindset into social media
- [23:02] Can you maintain a sense of privacy and self?
- [25:07] Desi shares a personal development example
- [27:49] You have the right to be YOU
- [30:49] What up Wingnut! Round
- [33:38] Connect with Desi + FREE daily planner!
- [35:00] Only dead people can’t…
- [39:27] Blooper Reel!
Connect with Desi Creswell
Resources & People Mentioned
- IWCE Expo!
- Curio Electro
- BOOK: The Answer to How is Yes
- BOOK: Daring Greatly
- BOOK: Self-Compassion
- BOOK: The 4 C’s Formula
Develop a work-life vision
Desi started her career in commercial interior design and transitioned into residential design. She then made the transition to her own design firm to be more in control of her schedule and start a family. She was completely overwhelmed. It wasn’t until she hired her first coach that she could blend being an entrepreneur and a Mom. As she began to see results, she realized someone needed to provide that help to the design industry—and she wanted to be that person.
Desi now works with clients to develop a work-life vision and cultivate a healthy mindset. She asks you to think: How do business and life overlap and intertwine? How do they support each other? Once you have that vision in place, you can use it as a filter for making decisions.
But what’s your practical limit? How much time can you give to your business? What expectations are you placing on yourself? What are the priorities in your life? What are the priorities in your business? Are the things that you’re doing to contribute to those priorities, or taking them away? Desi notes that you must delegate, delete, or automate different parts of your business.
Do you take change one day at a time or give yourself a timeline? What if you aren’t in a position TO delegate? How do you learn to say no? Keep listening to hear Desi’s thoughts!
The difference between a negative mindset and a healthy mindset
We all have inherent negative mindsets—to a certain percent. You’re never going to feel happy all of the time. Desi notes that you can expect that half of your thoughts will be negative. But you have to learn to see the story that you’re telling yourself about yourself. Do you constantly find yourself saying:
- “I’m never going to get it done.”
- “I’m never going to have enough time.”
- “I’m always behind.”
We all have certain narratives that are on repeat. We have 60,000 thoughts a day. They’re often running in the background and we don’t know they’re even there. So how do we shift those thoughts from a negative frame of mind to a healthy mindset?
Desi points out that the first step is to create awareness. Once you have awareness, you can begin to catch those negative thoughts. Our thoughts create a feeling that drives action and produces results. Ask yourself: What are the beliefs I want to adopt that would produce a better result?
Desi also notes that you have to keep Dan Sullivan’s 4 C’s in your mind:
- Courage: You have to have the courage to do something different.
- Commitment: You need the commitment to be willing to do it no matter what.
- Capability: You develop the capability and from there you develop confidence.
- Confidence: You don’t need to have the confidence to take action—just the courage to get started. Confidence does not have to be because of an external circumstance.
How do you continually embrace a confident and healthy mindset and carry it over to social media? How do you maintain a sense of privacy and/or self? Listen to the whole episode to benefit from Desi’s wealth of knowledge on building a healthy mindset!
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website
- Check out the Wingnut Social Media Lab Facebook Group!
- 1-877-WINGNUT (connect with us for your social media marketing needs)
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK
Become a Premium Wingnut
Deep dive bonus episodes, webinars, and more.