Can Writing a Book Catapult Your Career? LuAnn Nigara Shares Her Thoughts
Episode #191 the Wingnut Social Podcast
Have you always wanted to write a book? Have you also wondered if it’s worth the investment? LuAnn Nigara has written two amazing books and is about to launch her third book, A Well-Designed Business – The Power Talk Friday Experts Volume 2 (which Darla wrote a chapter in). In this episode of the Wingnut Social podcast, LuAnn talks about the process of writing and self-publishing a book—and whether or not it’s worth the ROI.
LuAnn is the co-owner of Window Works in New Jersey and created an award-winning podcast for interior designers, A Well-Designed Business. She is a sought-after keynote speaker with over 30+ years of experience in the industry. LuAnn gave Darla the education, strength, and courage to start her design business. If you’ve had dreams of becoming an author, this is a can’t-miss episode.
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [2:48] The GOAT: LuAnn Nigara
- [5:55] LuAnn’s book coming out Nov. 12th
- [7:51] Why LuAnn decided to write her first book
- [11:10] The impact of the 1st book on LuAnn’s business
- [13:49] The process of writing a book
- [19:39] How to self-publish your own books
- [22:06] The Power Talk Friday Book
- [24:20] What to budget for writing a book
- [26:30] How LuAnn is marketing her book
- [28:10] Don’t set unreasonable expectations
- [31:47] What up Wingnut! Round
- [32:27] How to connect with LuAnn Nigara
- [33:51] Know what your end-game is
- [37:35] Blooper Reel!
Connect with LuAnn Nigara
- LuAnn’s Website
- A Well-Designed Business podcast
- Get on the email list for LuAnn Live!
- The Power Talk Friday Experts (Book #1)
- The Making of A Well-Designed Business
Resources & People Mentioned
How writing a book impacted LuAnn’s business
According to LuAnn, “Writing your own book definitely is a game-changer. There’s no question.” LuAnn believes—4.5 years in—that the book has opened doors for her. Every single speaking engagement she’s had (50+) she has never had to pitch herself. LuAnn’s niche and credibility is business and she comes into the world as a business expert. The book solidified that credibility. It opened a door that she didn’t have to knock on.
LuAnn is a story-teller at heart. No matter the medium she is using, she emphasizes that she is going to tell a story. That’s the core of how she communicates information. She tells you what she wants you to know and drives the point home with a story. She’s a big-picture thinker. She wants the reader to know how marketing mattered for her business, what she did, and what her results were.
Her book is the journey of an entrepreneur. When she wrote the book, she worked backward. She didn’t want to sit there and break down statistics and numbers associated with building a business. She made a list of two pages worth of funny and poignant stories and the hard lessons she’s learned. Then she said, “Can I put a business lesson around that story?” Listen to learn about her whole writing process—including self-publishing a book.
Why you NEED to set realistic expectations
Writing a book is becoming a way to establish yourself as a thought leader in whatever space you’re in. But you can’t expect the book itself to be a money-maker. LuAnn wrote a book for the interior design industry. She has no illusion that this book will have a far and wide reach. She’s gone into it with open-eyes.
You have to be open to the ROI being speaking engagements and other opportunities. If you’re thinking the ROI is the book, it’s an unrealistic expectation. Everything together creates the opportunity. But LuAnn points out that you want to know how you’ll convert the book into making money.
How does she market her books? How do you build out a comprehensive plan for what your book will do for you? Listen to the whole episode to learn more!
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website
- Check out the Wingnut Social Media Lab Facebook Group!
- 1-877-WINGNUT (connect with us for your social media marketing needs)
Audio Production and Show notes by
PODCAST FAST TRACK
Become a Premium Wingnut
Deep dive bonus episodes, webinars, and more.