Carla Aston has had her own design firm since 2001 and has been an industry leader in blogging, with her “Designed with Carla Aston” blog being a must-visit destination for anyone interested in interior design. Today on the Wingnut Social podcast, Carla talks about her blogging ROI, how her blog posts bring her bundles of web traffic and throws a mean curveball into the Wut Up, Wingnut round.
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [1:10] Intro and losing one’s blogging mojo
- [4:15] Carla comes on to set things straight
- [6:15] Why video isn’t everything
- [11:12] Why you shouldn’t give up on blogging
- [13:17] Carla’s enormous ROI
- [16:50] How Carla has turned her SEO into consulting work
- [21:45] How Carla’s blog speaks to more than one audience at once
- [28:45] Carla’s process for getting blog posts out+
- [36:35] Solve a problem with your blog posts
- [38:00] What about ghostwriters?
- [45:00] Whut up, Wingnut?
Connect with Carla Aston
- Carla’s main blog
- Designed for Designers
- Carla on Instagram
- Carla on Pinterest
- Carla’s Facebook page
- Designed for Designers on Facebook
Resources & People Mentioned
- Come to LuAnn Live!
- High Point Market
- Why Blog if You Hate Blogging?
- Carla’s wood floor blog post
- Carla’s ugly cabinets blog post
- Get your Audible Free Trial!
Video is not everything! Viva la blog!
A few years ago content creators made a big deal about a “pivot to video,” meaning they were de-prioritizing the written word online and putting resources behind video. But as Carla tells us, video isn’t everything. There are still plenty of people who want to scan or read content online. Not everyone wants to watch a 10-minute how-to video. Millions of internet users still want to read a quick article to get the tips or advice they need.
The key is to practice proper blogging procedures and hygiene. That means you have to have good headlines, you have to have great subheads so someone who is looking for specific information can scan and find it easily, and you have to organize your information in a way that makes sense to a reader who’s scanning your content.
SEO is a long game, and it’s worth it
Carla has been blogging since 2010, and it’s still paying off for her, thanks to her search engine optimization. Her blog comes up a lot not only for people looking for interior design ideas, but also for interior designers looking to advance their business. Using proper keywording and subheads, etc., has allowed Carla’s blog to be a trusted source in Google search results.
Darla asked Carla on this week’s episode: How many of your clients come through your blog. And Carla had a startling answer: All of them. And what she means is that she gets a lot of clients who find her blog and then hire her, but also that clients who are considering her find her blog and then spend time on it, and the blog, without trying to be, becomes a sales funnel for her.
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website