Are You a Designer or a Decorator?
Episode #051 the Wingnut Social Podcast
The inspiration for this discussion came from a discussion in Claire Jefford’s Facebook group (link below), in which interior designers who earned degrees in the field took umbrage with people without degrees calling themselves designers. But of course the debate didn’t start there, and in fact, Darla recounts a conversation she had with a designer at a recent event in which the issue came up.
But a good question to ask is: Why do you care? Is it a good use of your time as an interior designer to worry about what other people call themselves? If you have the credentials, then, by all means, use those credentials to differentiate yourself in the field. Use it as a marketing tool. Darla gives her 10 cents on the question in this week’s episode, and if you have any disagreements, you should email them to Natalie!
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [1:00] A bone of contention about a bone of contention
- [2:00] Degrees of separation
- [3:30] Policing language
- [5:15] If you can do it, go to school
- [7:15] If you’re not on board
- [9:12] Natalie gives a bit of marketing advice
- [9:50] What’s on the next minisode?
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website
Subscribe to The Wingnut Social Podcast on iTunes, Google Podcasts, or TuneIn
Become a Premium Wingnut
Deep dive bonus episodes, webinars, and more.