Franziska Neuman is an interior designer whose work with small spaces in New York has landed her appearances on HGTV and the Oprah Winfrey Show. And her company FZK Franziska specializes in helping interior designers build amazing websites that not only reflect their brands, but attract their ideal clients.
What You’ll Hear On This Episode of Wingnut Social
- [2:00] How podcasting is better than dolphinfishing
- [4:50] Franziska heads to the Big Apple
- [7:00] Why an Oprah appearance was bittersweet
- [8:37] Is it still important to have a good website?
- [10:45] When to ditch the DIY
- [13:40] Which DIY website builder would you use?
- [14:45] What goes into a good website
- [19:55] Why video works well on websites
- [22:30] Should you have more than one website?
- [25:41] Franziska’s rundown of SEO for designers
- [30:08] What not to do on your website
- [33:32] Whut up, Wingnut?
Connect with Franziska Neuman
Resources & People Mentioned
- SEO episode with Justin Easthall
- Instagram episode with Widell & Boschetti
- The Alter Ego Effect
- Wingnut Social’s services
When Oprah calls, you build a website
Franziska struck gold early on, designing small spaces in New York City. HGTV became interested in her work, and then Oprah called to feature her work on the show. And part of being on Oprah’s show meant you could sell a particular item you were featuring. To do that, you need a website. So Franziska frantically taught herself how to build a website and got it up and running in time for her appearance.
But even if Oprah isn’t knocking on your door, Franziska says you have to have your website up-to-date because it’s the one place online where you can really track your interaction with your potential customers. Design is a referral business, so you need a home where customers can refer other friends to land. And you need to keep it up to date, because that’s the way big brother Google likes it.
Create a visual brand for your company
One of the biggest mistakes designers make when they build a website, says Franziska, is failing to create a visual brand online. So your interior design work may be of one aesthetic, but then if your website may look cookie-cutter. So it’s important to create an online visual brand that reflects the work you do in people’s homes as well.
Franziska says you need to have a major mindset shift when you’re building your website. You have to remember that your website is not for you. It’s for your potential clients. And so while you may want certain things on your site, you have to always be thinking about the user, the customer, who is coming to your website and what information they need. The more you can address your ideal client, the better.
Connect With Darla & Wingnut Social
- On Facebook
- On Twitter: @WingnutSocial
- On Instagram: @WingnutSocial
- Darla’s Interior Design Website